Details & MSRP:
- Length: 7’2″
- Power: Medium Heavy+
- Action: Fast
- Line: 12 – 20 lb.
- Lure: 3/8 – 1 1/8 oz.
- MSRP: $229.99
- We were all pretty stoked to pick up the full ALX Rods lineup. The brand seemed to always sell extremely fast when we listed them on our used page.
- Every line of ALX rods, whether it be the IKOS, ZOLO, or ENOX has impressed us specifically in terms of quality and consistency. One of the biggest hurdles for any rod manufacturer is establishing build consistency. ALX has been able to do just that by constructing all of their rods in house at their Aiken, South Carolina facility.
- The ZOLO Toadface is a standout model for ALX. Despite its name, you can tell immediately upon handling this rod that it is built for much more than just frog fishing.
- Traditionally, a frog-specific rod is built to be fished in a “Tip-down” position. The Toadface, however, has a much more neutrally balanced feel when you put a reel on it. This lends itself to fishing just about whatever you want. I would be comfortable throwing senkos, texas rigs, jigs, buzz baits, spinnerbaits, small swimbaits, and likely a handful more baits that are escaping me at the moment.
- I do want to highlight this rod’s capability to throw a frog despite its versatility because it IS a fantastic frog rod. Most of the froggin’ we do in Southern Indiana is in open water or sparse cover rather than through thick mats. Because of that, we do not have a need for a super stout frog rod. The Goldy Locks Zone for a frog rod is a stout rod with just enough tip to accurately cast and work a frog. I believe the Toadface falls perfectly in that zone.
- This thing is a Swiss army knife. I’m confident that you will also be impressed with the quality and fishability of this rod. Give it a go if you’re looking to play around with a relatively young brand in 2021. Happy New Year!